Eggs & toast just got a whole lot better with the addition of one surprising ingredient– Chobani yogurt
I’ve been on this routine now for a few years and am always thinking of ways to mix up my ingredients to keep things interesting. Usually it’s a seasonal veggie, a topping like salsa or tomato sauce, or a low-fat meat that gets subbed in. However, I just discovered a fantastic new trick that takes this dish to a whole new level.
Egg White Frittata
- 16 oz. egg whites
- 3 breakfast chicken sausage links (I like the one’s from Trader Joe’s)
- 1 cup of spinach
- 0.5 cup sliced mushrooms
- 0.25 cup diced white onion
- 2.0 tbsps plain non-fat Chobani Greek yogurt (from a 5.3 oz container)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together egg whites, yogurt, salt and pepper.
- Add chicken sausages to a medium non-stick saucepan. Break into bite-size pieces as they cook.
- When the sausage bites are nearly cooked through, add the onion to the pan.
- Add the mushrooms when the onion just begins to caramelize and become translucent.
- Allow the mushrooms to cook down for 2-3 minutes and then add in the spinach.
- When the spinach has wilted, pour in your egg mixture. Stir so that all ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Cook on the stove top for a few minutes longer. When the bottom of the eggs begin to set transfer the pan into the oven.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the eggs are firmly set. Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- remainder of the plain non-fat Chobani Greek yogurt
- 1 small avocado
- 1/2 lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sliced avocado in half. Scoop out both sides into a small mixing bowl. Mash until smooth.
- Stir in the remaining yogurt from the 5.3 oz cup.
- Squeeze the juice from 1/2 lemon into the mix.
- Add salt and pepper and stir.
- Tip: Add the avocado pit into the mix to prevent browning.
Eggs & Toast
Top a piece of toast with the avocado spread and a slice of frittata and you’re set!
What’s your secret for the perfect healthy breakfast? Comment below to let us know or tweet us @SingleDiariesXO